- What is a backyard suite? - Simply put, a backyard suite is a home in your backyard. It can be located above a garage or can have living space on the main floor. Typically, backyard suites are between 500-900 square feet. They offer homeowners a number of benefits including additional rental income, opportunities to downsize and age in community, multigenerational living, a new garage, and affordable rental accommodations in desirable neighbourhoods. They also help our city build in more efficient and sustainable patterns.
- Why come to the workshop and tour? - Going through the process of building a backyard suite can be confusing and complicated. Knowing and avoiding common pitfalls and challenges is critical to a successful project. Since building a backyard suite is one of the biggest financial decisions a homeowner will make, it’s important to understand the rules and regulations, the process to build, financing options, design considerations, etc. The tour is a great opportunity to see inside some of Calgary’s own backyard suites. Seeing suite designs on paper is one thing, but experiencing them in person gives you greater insight into the possibilities that exist for designing the suite of your dreams.
- Who should come out to the events/what will I learn? - We invite homeowners, property investors, real estate professionals, and simply residents interested in backyard suites and the infill to attend. Attendees will learn the rules and regulations for backyard suites from the City of Calgary, the process to build from experienced builders and designers, common pitfalls and advice from current suite owners, and how to finance a suite from a mortgage specialist. There will be opportunities for one-on-one conversations with industry experts so that you can connect people who will take you from concept to completion.
- What are the benefits of having a backyard suite? - They offer homeowners a number of benefits including additional rental income, opportunities to downsize and age in community, multigenerational living, and affordable rental accommodations in desirable neighbourhoods. They also help our city build in more efficient and sustainable patterns.
Contacts that attended the Calgary Backyard Suite & Tour:
City of Calgary
Cheryl Beaver, ATB.
Stonebridge Custom Homes
Website: infill.ca or calgaryinfillsguide.com
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Call: 403-999-1538 or 403-613-3023
Calgary Backyard Suites Workshop
If you are considering building a Backyard Suite, and want to know if it would be right for you, this workshop is a must.
This evening event covers everything from rules and regulations, City bylaws, and costs, to challenges, and the building process. Information presented at this workshop will help you save time, money, and headaches if you decide to build a suite. The value of preparing to develop your property by connecting with experts, and other homeowners who have built Backyard Suites cannot be overstated.
In summary, we will be covering the following topics:
- Intro to Backyard Suites
Hear from Ashley Salvador, Alberta's leading backyard housing expert, about the ways backyard suites are helping Albertans live more flexible and fulfilling lives.
- Rules, Regulations, Zoning and the Permitting Process
The City of Calgary will be presenting the latest Backyard Suite rules & regulations. You'll learn what types of lots can accommodate a Backyard Suite, what rules your suite must conform to, how big it can be, how it can be oriented, etc.
- Backyard Suite Owners Panel Discussion
Learn from everyday homeowners who have gone through the process of building a Backyard Suite. Our panelists will be sharing tips, tricks, challenges, and benefits associated with building a Backyard Suite. The panel will be an interactive Q&A style discussion.
- Financing Your Suite
Hear the options for financing a backyard suite from a Mortgage and Finance specialist, and receive a budget template.
- The Appraisal and Resale Value of Backyard Suites
Any significant project on your property has the potential to change the value of your site. Learn about value, appraisal, and unique properties in Calgary.
- Builder/Designer Showcase
You'll have the opportunity to get to know Calgary's leading Backyard Suite builders and designers. Several different builders and designers will each give a short presentation on their work and what their business can offer you.
- Builder/Designer Panel Discussion
Learn about the value that experienced builders offer homeowners when building in the lane as these leading builders and designers discuss some of the unique aspects of backyard housing projects.
- Post Workshop Networking
We invite you to stick around after the formal part of the event to mix, mingle, and ask questions of industry experts and speakers. If you have any lingering questions, or want to set up a following-up meeting with an industry expert, now is a great time to do so.
Hope to see you there!
The Benefits of a backyard or Carriage Suite
People choose to build Backyard Suites for many different reasons.
Whether it's to house your ageing parents close to home, generate a rental income, or plan for your future, Backyard Suites are a flexible form of housing that can help meet you and your family's changing needs.
Build a suite, rent it out and make some additional income. Use your suite as a mortgage helper, investment, or retirement income.
Downsize – Age in Place
With Backyard Suites, long-time residents can downsize and age in their community when their main home becomes too much work.
Building a suite in your backyard can help add to Calgary's affordable housing stock.
Stronger Inner City Communities
Backyard Suites help create more walkable, compact, and attractive communities that support physical and mental health.
Backyard Suites can enable multigenerational living, where aging parents or young adults can live close to their families, while still have privacy and independence.
building in instead of out
As a form infill, Backyard Suites help Calgary build in instead of out, which promotes fiscally, environmentally, and socially responsible development.